Thursday, June 2, 2011

Food blog: Carbonara and Red Velvet Cupcakes

Yesterday night was quite eventful for me. My parents are still in China and my sister had a sleepover at her high school friend's condo so I was all alone last night. Perfect timing 'cause my friend Ana and I have been wanting to hang and shoot for a very long time now so since we were running late, we decided to just cook and bake the night away! According to her, there was massive traffic on her way to my house from the South so I had a lot of time to spare:


Plaid polo: Old Navy
Denim shorts: Landmark, Trinoma
Slippers: Havaianas

I really wanted to do an outfit of the night/day thing but no one was here to take my photo and our helper wasn't getting the hang of the camera, but I really loved my get-up yesterday. Haha!

So around 8 in the evening, Ana and her guy Migs finally picked me up from the house and we headed to the grocery to buy some ingredients that we lacked then to Hannah's house 'cause we didn't have cupcake cups then finallehhh Ana's house!

We cooked the Carbonara first 'cause it was almost 9:30 and we still haven't eaten dinner. I chopped mushrooms, she cooked the sauce (it was actually the instant Del Monte Carbonara sauce, but she had to add some stuff) then we put it all together with the pasta and it was awesome. It was really yummy, we couldn't believe it. Haha!



After that, we finally started baking and that was already around 10PM. It was all good 'cause we were having fun and I didn't care much for the time.


I don't think anyone has buttermilk so thankfully Red Velvet Cupcake recipes always include the alternative: Lemon/distilled white vinegar then add milk 'til it gets to one cup then let it sit for five minutes. It was perfect! We used lemon since the thought of vinegar with milk was not sounding too good for us than the lemon with milk. While we were adding it into the batter, we were scared 'cause they were forming chunks but I guess it was from the lemon.


Madyik!


Madyik #2!


Madyik #3!


Madyik #4!

Funny story: Like I said, we had to pass by my friend Hannah's house to get cupcake cups. We went to the grocery before that and the grocery only had those mini cups. We only got 25 cups from Hannah so we had to settle for these mini cups. Aren't they super cute though???

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take photos of the cupcakes with the icing 'cause I was the one who applied the frosting. The frosting was really good, too! Cream Cheese frosting is definitely the one that makes the Red Velvet Cupcakes perfect. Here are Ana's shots though:

From Ana's iPhone! This was the first cupcake I put icing on.
I put a heart 'cause Ana was giving it to Migs.

Either Ana or Migs took this shot, haha!

The cupcakes were amazing and I'm so proud of ourselves. We've been friends for a little over five years and this is the first time we actually ate something that we successfully cooked and baked! Haha! We're so proud. We're thinking of doing rainbow cupcakes soon, I'll update you guys.

Thanks for the awesome night, Ana and Migs! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment